Cleveland Arena (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Blanks are from original wooden stadium seats of Cleveland Arena.
Pen Blanks are a minimum of 3/4" x 3/4"
Ring blanks are 1-1/2" square
All blanks will come with one COA per blank. COAs are 4" x 6" card stock with foil embossed COA seal.
All blanks are cut as they are ordered.
Cleveland Arena was an arena in Cleveland, Ohio. It was built and privately financed by local businessman Albert C. Sutphin during the height of the Great Depression in 1937 as a playing site for Sutphin's AHL team, the Cleveland Barons. The arena was at 3717 Euclid Avenue, and seated 9,900 in the stands and 12,500+ for events such as boxing where floor seating was available.
In addition to the Barons, the arena was home to the Cleveland Rebels of the Basketball Association of America, also owned by Sutphin, for the 1946–47 season, and hosted several games for the Cincinnati Royals of the National Basketball Association (NBA), who played more than 35 of their home games there from 1966–1970. The arena and the Barons were purchased by Nick Mileti in 1968. In 1970, the expansion Cleveland Cavaliers of the NBA moved into the arena and played there for their first four seasons, from 1970–1974. The Cleveland Crusaders of the new World Hockey Association began play in 1972, hosting games there until 1974.
Cleveland Arena was also a regular concert and boxing venue and 6 Day bicycle races were held there between 1939 and 1958, moved there from Public Hall. On March 21, 1952 it was the site of the Moondog Coronation Ball, considered the first rock and roll concert, organized by Alan Freed. The concert was shut down after the first song by fire authorities due to overcrowding. It was estimated 20,000 people were in the arena or trying to enter it, when the capacity was roughly half that.
While the arena was a showpiece when it opened, by the time it closed in 1974 it had become decrepit and lacked adequate parking. It was replaced for sports and entertainment use by the Richfield Coliseum that year and demolished in 1977. The headquarters of the Cleveland Chapter of the American Red Cross now occupies the site.