USS New Hampshire (1864)
US Navy Ship Wood and Revere Copper Company nail embedded object blanks
27/64" blanks are for Sierra Clones
3/8" blanks for PSI Nautical kit
JR Set 12.5mm embedded cap and wood lower blank short 2" x 5/8"sq
All blanks will come with one COA per blank. COAs are 4" x 6" card stock with silver foil embossed COA seal.
NOTE: The JR lower wood is very stable and hard wood but the blanks have some cracks that need to be filled. Cracks can be filled with CA or Epoxy and wood shavings or contrasting complimentary materials.
USS New Hampshire (1864) was a 2,633-ton ship originally designed to be the 74-gun ship of the line Alabama. She remained on the stocks for nearly 40 years before being renamed and launched as a storeship and depot ship during the American Civil War. New Hampshire was renamed Granite State on 30 November 1904 to free the name "New Hampshire" for a newly authorized battleship New Hampshire (BB-25).
As Alabama, she was one of "nine ships to rate not less than 74 guns each" authorized by Congress on 29 April 1816, and was laid down by the Portsmouth Navy Yard, ME, in June 1819, the year the State of Alabama was admitted to the Union. Though ready for launch by 1825, she remained on the stocks for preservation to avoid the expense of manning and maintaining a ship of the line. She was renamed New Hampshire on 28 October 1863 and launched on 23 April 1864. She was fitted out as a storeship and depot ship of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, and commissioned on 13 May 1864, Commodore Henry K. Thatcher in command. From July 1864 through the end of the Civil War she served as store and depot ship at Port Royal, SC.
The New Hampshire was built of live oak with copper fasteners. Revere Copper Company, the firm started by Paul Revere in Canton, MA, was awarded a contract to supply the United States Navy with copper spikes, sheeting, and deck nails in 1816. The deck nail pictured here was recovered from the New Hampshire.
Granite State served the New York State Militia until she caught fire and sank at her pier in the Hudson River on 23 May 1921. Sold for salvage July 1922, the towline parted during a storm and she again caught fire and sank off Half Way Rock near Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA. The shipwreck is in 30 ft of water and is an easy scuba dive. Although the hull is mostly buried in the sand, small artifacts and copper spikes may still be found. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 29 October 1976.
|Laid down:||June 1819|
|Launched:||23 April 1864 at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard|
|Commissioned:||13 May 1864|
|Out of service:||23 May 1921|
|Length:||203.7 ft (62.1 m)|
|Beam:||51.3 ft (15.6 m)|
|Draft:||21 ft 6 in (6.55 m)|
|Complement:||820 officers and men|