USS Wisconsin (BB-64)
US Navy Ship Wood
Pen Blanks are 3/4" x 3/4"
Call and Stopper blanks are 1-1/2" x 1-1/2"
Wooden Wave Blanks are pre-tubed blanks with a label cast of the ship's seal and wood from the ship. These blanks are designed to work with Sierra Clone or Bolt Action pen kits. Sierra Clone tubes are 2-1/4" x 27/64" and Bolt Action Tubes are 1-31/32”.
All blanks will come with one COA per blank. COAs are 4" x 6" card stock with silver foil embossed COA seal.
All blanks are cut as they are ordered.
USS Wisconsin (BB-64) is an Iowa-class battleship, the second ship of the United States Navy to be named in honor of the U.S. state of Wisconsin. She was built at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and launched on 7 December 1943 (the second anniversary of the Pearl Harbor raid), sponsored by the wife of Governor Walter Goodland of Wisconsin.
During her career, Wisconsin served in the Pacific Theater of World War II, where she shelled Japanese fortifications and screened United States aircraft carriers as they conducted air raids against enemy positions. During the Korean War, Wisconsin shelled North Korean targets in support of United Nations and South Korean ground operations, after which she was decommissioned. She was reactivated on 1 August 1986; after a modernization program, she participated in Operation Desert Storm in January and February 1991.
Wisconsin was last decommissioned in September 1991 after a total of 14 years of active service in the fleet, and having earned a total of six battle stars for service in World War II and Korea, as well as a Navy Unit Commendation for service during the January/February 1991 Gulf War. She currently functions as a museum ship operated by Nauticus, The National Maritime Center in Norfolk, Virginia. Wisconsin was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register (NVR) 17 March 2006, and was donated for permanent use as a museum ship. On 15 April 2010, the City of Norfolk officially took over ownership of the ship.
|Namesake:||The State of Wisconsin|
|Ordered:||12 June 1940|
|Builder:||Philadelphia Naval Shipyard|
|Laid down:||25 January 1941|
|Launched:||7 December 1943|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Goodland
wife of Walter S. Goodland
|Commissioned:||16 April 1944|
|Decommissioned:||1 July 1948|
|Recommissioned:||3 March 1951|
|Decommissioned:||8 March 1958|
|Recommissioned:||22 October 1988|
|Decommissioned:||30 September 1991|
|Struck:||17 March 2006|
|Motto:||Forward for Freedom|
|Nickname(s):||"Wisky" or "WisKy"|
|6 Battle Stars|
|Status:||Museum ship at Nauticus|
|Notes:||Homeport Norfolk Virginia|